Thing 5: Presentation Tools

So okay...full confession here...I've been a bit of a slacker lately with regards to showcasing what I'm doing. It's not that I'm not exploring Cool Tools (in fact, I use a number of Cool Tools every day), but it's just thinking about sharing out what I'm doing beyond my target audience.

Looking through Thing 5, I realized that I use presentation tools often. Like, a lot. Part of my job (by the way, did I mention that I LOVE my job?) is sharing cool tools with others, and I often use presentation tools in that sharing. I am in area school districts at least once a week, and I'm a BOCES Model Schools trainer as well. I'm gradually using Google Slides more and more often as my presentation pizza box to package tools to share with my audiences, so they can take that presentation, make a copy of it, and have it to keep and refer to after the presentation is over. With Google Slides, I can create a sort of hyperdoc, where teachers can click on links, watch videos, examine examples, take notes (if they make a copy of the document), and more.

 Recently, a school district I visit regularly to facilitate technology integration asked me to present Kahoot and Flipgrid to their staff during staff meetings. I tossed together a Google Slides presentation that incorporated snippets of information with links and examples of each, and during the staff meetings, the Slides were shared with the staff, with invitation to participate. Interestingly, the Flipgrid has not yet been clicked on, so I'll have to revisit that later, though I'm not entirely surprised due to the video nature of Flipgrid. I ran the Kahoot during the meetings, which led to a fun, rambunctious energy that instantly transformed the tone of the meetings. Teachers who initially had tuned out after a long, tiring day had fun trying to answer Kahoot questions relating to '80s movies.

After the staff meetings, I've had immediate feedback from teachers who ask when I can meet with them or push into their classrooms to try these tools. You can see my latest presentation here: https://goo.gl/U9gTuE While Google Slides is rapidly becoming my go-to for presenting, I do use a variety of presentation tools to share and to teach my fellow librarians & teachers. Smore, Screencast-o-matic, and Screencastify are tools I have used often, and I've also used Prezi and Animoto, among other things. I'm going to experiment more with Pear Deck and Buncee to share those tools with teachers.

Comments

  1. Aha! You used some of your Rville time very wisely! :) As you now know, I'm using Slides in a similar way. Not having a recent version of Powerpoint has really forced me to embrace Slides, glad it has!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 26: Notetaking Tools

Thing 3: Twitter and other online communities